POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PovUK the cast : Re: PovUK the cast Server Time
15 Aug 2024 04:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovUK the cast
From: St
Date: 29 Aug 2002 16:35:01
Message: <3d6e8575@news.povray.org>
"hughes b" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:3d6d7add$1@news.povray.org...
> >
> > "hughes b" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> > > I just don't even know why the word dibs exists so please don't ask
> >
> >    Bob, why does....   ;)
>
> Glad you asked, Steve.

>  >:-(

  LOL!  Sorry Bob...

> Well I just had to know what dibs originates from and what I found is that
> it's apparently a contraction of the word dibstones (dib possibly being a
> change of the word dab too); which itself can be pretty meaningless, until
> you know it is something from a childrens game like jacks where you would
> grab them up in a certain way to win. Dibstones were sheep knucklebones I
> guess (weird huh?), something I've never heard of, but the metal jacks
> supposedly replaced them. Not positive about it, just gathered that from
> what I read.
>
> When I try to find out what bagsey originated from I get nowhere. ha ha ha

   Heh, ok, I think I can help out here. It's probably slang originating from
'Lahndon'. Kna what I mean guv?
   I.e., not rhyming slang but a 'street' word nonetheless. It's a literal
meaning - 'bags' - " I want to keep it in my BAG", "I covet (want it in my BAG)" -
therefore >  - "Bagsy me first".

   As regards 'Dibs' and 'Dabs', I have a feeling that it has something to do with
"One potato, two potato, three potato four..." ? (Banana Splits?! ;)  But I'm
probably wrong here...

  ~Steve~
<someone please pass this over to OT... I'm too cream-crackered...Z-z-Z-z-Z-z,
laterz...>